Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Little Creamer The Middletown Plate Co.

Catalog number 733.

I like this little fellow. The curvy shape appeals to me. It would have been a part of an individual serving set. It was made by the Middletown Plate Co. and has their earlier mark. I think Middletown is an under collected name in silverplate. Meriden Britannia Co. is supposed to be such fine work, but Middletown is just as old and I think quite nice.  Lets look at some fun facts:

Middletown Plate Co. 
(Do not confuse with the Middletown Silver Plate Co.)


Place:
     Middletown Connecticut 

Year:
     1864-1899-merger with ISC-

Founders:
     Edward Payne
     Henry Bullard

Made:
     holloware
     flatware

Mergers:
     1866 incorporated
     1899 Joined International Silver Co.

Notes:
     Sold Wares to the Wm. Rogers co. that plated and sold the material with their own mark.
     This means identical pieces can be found with different stamps

1 comment:

  1. I think you are right. I have a piece marked Middletown Plate Company pitcher decorated beautifully with a #186 marked hard white metal that has been in family for years.
    I would like to know value? has their original stamp on bottom

    ReplyDelete